Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Happy Redwing Name

As you know my wife and I are in the process of having a new house built. We stop by several times a week to see the progress and daydream. This after all will be the house that we bring our first child home to, and this house could easily be our home for twenty plus years.

Every time we visit our new house there is a happy little red-winged blackbird at the back of our yard singing away his cheerful song. We say that he is our bird, but as of yet we have not named him yet. I don't know exactly what it is about him that makes him so special to us. Maybe it is simply that he is a part of our next big adventure with our new house almost completed. I think that it is probably that his happy song is representational of what we imagine our lives will be filled with once we move. Unfortunately, because of my father, my life has been filled with hurt and drama. Once we leave our current home, I am leaving his problems behind. Being happy and sharing my life with people who truly want to be a part of my life is simply too important to me to allow anyone to bring me down. I have a beautiful home being built, a wonderful wife, two great little dogs, other family members and friends that would do anything for me in the blink of an eye, and almost unbelievably my son on the way. Why should I let anyone stop me from enjoying all the blessings that God has given me? On the other hand, maybe there simply weren't any other blogspot names available.

We "broke into" our new house tonight. The locks were installed this week, but we were not given a key. Before this week we could come and go as we please as the house was completely unsecured. On Tuesday we stopped by the house and arrived just as the trim company workers were leaving. They let us in with the request to lock the door back when we leave, and lock the door back we did. What we didn't do however, was to lock back the window that we unlocked so that we could sneak into the house and keep track of the progression. We close now in 17 days and the house is really starting to come together. The electricity is on, and the lights are installed and working. Our cabinets and counter tops are installed. Beautiful hard wood floors are down in certain sections of our house. With a little carpet and some more paint this house would almost be ready. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment